Your blog is online accessible to anyone in the world. Translating blog posts and pages increases your audience and monetization capabilities by at least ten-fold! Take advantage of the FULL global power of the Internet and learn how to translate your blog!

This is day #9 of the 30 WordPress Hacks in 30 Days Series! Subscribe by email or RSS at the top right of any page.

I’m going to tell you about the single most important plugin that you probably haven’t used (or even thought about using) yet. This one plugin can explode the readership of your blog exponentially. This could be the definitive moment where you blog goes “global”. Imagine the possibilities of having your blog read worldwide in multiple languages and how many more people you could reach? The greatest thing about the Internet is the fact that it connects a global village through a single connection. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can read your blog.

I’ve used hundreds of WordPress plugins, and currently I think I have some 4 dozen installed. Out of all the plugins I’ve ever used I think I’ve only ever paid for two. This makes number three. WordPress is open source software that anyone can use at no cost. The greater bulk of WordPress themes and plugins (probably 98%) are also free. But there are a few plugins that are so widely used, so important, so useful, so well supported that I do not have a problem with them costing a nominal fee. Especially when you pay that fee just one time – and then future upgrades are free for life!

I’ve tried a couple free translation plugins in the past that didn’t work that well. I had one installed for 2-3 days that always seemed to produce errors instead of translations. Then it just kind of slipped my mind for a few months after I uninstalled it…that was until I installed the 404 Notifier plugin. Once installed and configured, it sends you an email every time your site generates a “404 Not Found” error. I installed it not expecting to get many emails. Then the next day I woke up and had 88 emails in my inbox. About 60 were from the 404 Notifier. Looking through them all – every single one was a URL that I had an actual (working) page for, but there was something weird at the end of each one. I saw things tacked on the end of the URL like /fr/ and /ru/ and /es/ and /de/ and then it hit me that these were languages, and those were the things added on to the URL’s when I had the the translation plugin installed.

About 90% of the “not found” errors were listed as coming from the google search crawler “googlebot”. The rest were from real users. So even though I only had the poor performing (free) translation plugin installed less than three days, google was having fits trying to index those pages and people were actually trying to access them. I knew right then and there that I had to get a translation plugin installed right away.